This week I had to totally check myself when I decided to, drum roll please, have a NEW friend come over. A person who didn't know me and my awful lack of style when overtired and overwhelmed. Who didn't know that every morning I lay on my couch and spend about 10 minutes pondering whether a shower today is really necessary. Who also didn't know that putting on a real bra and a pair of jeans literally feels like getting dressed for a big interview. Oh my goodness, did I have some work to do.
Here's some of my thought process from yesterday morning to show you that 5 months in, I still struggle - oh how I struggle.
1) Baby wakes: "Yes, Becky, daughter needs to come immediately out of pajamas and into cutest outfit she has." Go to closet, sift through clothes. "Pajama, pajama, pajama, ugh I'm tired, okay here's a pink onesie - not the cutest, but better than pajamas."
2) Sit on couch for only 5 minutes: "Yes, Becky, you have to take a shower - you have greasy hair and you smell funky. But, can't I get away with some dry shampoo and new underwear? No, you SMELL. And, you used the dry shampoo yesterday...go to the shower, NOW!"
3) After shower: "To blow dry and
4) The house: "It's pretty clean actually (baby can't move much yet), do I clean up the dirty dishes though or vacuum? No, I don't want it to look too clean - I can't have her thinking that I'm perfect, because I'm so NOT perfect."
5) Sit on couch again, it's 10am, and I'm totally exhausted. Friend arrives with baby. Both looking very put together...talk with friend: "She's so down to earth and totally gets how hard this is. She's a lot like me, actually."
6) Friend leaves: "Maybe next time I'll just do the dry shampoo."